Are you a fashionista wondering what to be for Halloween ? We have a suggestion ! Karl Lagerfeld is obviously one of the most recognizable fashion power players of
the decade ever, so why not be him ! I actually stumbled across this picture on an amazing blog called Refinery29, so click the picture to see a step by step transformation from a normal girl into Karl. But here’s basically what you need:
1. Some type of grey/white hair spray for your teased ponytail.
2. A white, overly dressy top, a black blazer, black pants and shoes
3. Black sunglasses
4. Enough bronzer to make you look like you spent the last week in St. Barths, but not enough to make you quite orange
5. A perma-pout. No smiling allowed, unless you’re laughing at other peoples’ tackiness.
6. A friend to dress up like Anna Wintour, duh !
Halloween Series: Last Call! Channel your inner “It” girl with this outfit ! Faaaaaab.
Are you waiting last minute to figure out what to be for Halloween ? Don’t panic ! Wear bright colored makeup and every piece of neon clothing you own. You’ll either end up looking like a bag of Skittles or an 80’s girl, depending on what bright things you own. Either way works. Happy Halloween !
Halloween Series: Cleopatra Edition ! If you’d love to be an Egyptian goddess , but don’t want to buy a costume, here are a few tips !
1. Hair, hair, hair. If your hair is dark and bob length, you’re all set ! If it’s short, then I’d suggest wearing your hair really straight; if you’ve got bangs, perfect ! I your hair is totally off, then buy a dark short wig. It’s plain enough that you can wear it for Halloweens to come.
2. Buy some headwear a la Nicole Richie. A cute boho hair chain or a snake piece (like above) is something you can pull off during the summer,so don’t be afraid to buy a real one (as opposed to a costume one). Check places like Topshop or Asos. You’re likely to find a cheap one there.
3. Makeup ! Where do you think winged eyeliner came from ? In fact, ancient dosuments show that the Egyptians were the first people to make colored makeup. (Thanks, Cleopatra!) Say true to her legacy and wear some bold eye liner and perhaps some blue or goldd shadow.
4. Caftans! For your outfit, go for a beachy caftan a la Rachel Zoe. IF you don’t know what a caftan is, it’s basically a dress length, dressy beach cover up. If you already have one (especially a white or jewel toned one) great. If not, you could wear a little white dress.
5. Jewels ! These are super important, regardless of whether you’re wearing a full on costume or a little white dress. Make sure you’re jewelry is all gold;l in fact, you might want to wear every gold piece of jewelry you have. Wear earrings, rings, bracelets, arm bands. Whatever you’ve got goes. Even wear a gold bracelet as an anklet. A choker necklace would be a nice touch.
6. Swag ! To channel Cleopatra make sure you have the walk down. Think Marilyn Monroe. You want to be graceful and sexy.
Halloween Series Part 6: Lady Gaga edition ! This is a fairly easy look to copy, but if you’re trying to channel another of Gaga’s looks make sure to have these keys things:
1. Dramatic makeup! Whether you go for a crazy lip, or eyes, or both make sure it’s ridiculously theatrical.
2. Shades ! Same as the makeup, anything goes. A black studded pair is probably the easiest and coolest to find.
3. Fierce accessories ! Gaudy is best. If you watch Jerseylicious, think about Olivia’s jewelry.
4. Shoes, shoes, shoes. Whether you decide to wear black platforms or Giuseppe Zanotti inspired booties go big or go home.
Halloween Series Part Five: Audrey Hepburn ! This is probably the chicest and easiest of costumes out there ! Here are the main components of Audrey’s iconic look.
1. An LBD. If you don’t know what “LBD” stands for, you clearly need our help. Exit this post and read the rest of our blog. However, if you do know that “LBD” stand for little black dress, then you are worthy of being Audrey and most likely already own a cute little dress.
2. Black elbow length gloves: You probably don’t own these (if you do, good for you, babe !), but don’t panic. They can easily be found at any comstume store.
3. Classy jewelry: Diamonds are more of a Marilyn thing. I would suggest going for pearls.
4. A fantastic updo and matching hair accessories: (See gif above.)
5. Fabulous black shades: C’mon. You should have at least one pair of classy, non-flashy sunglasses. If you don’t, buy a pair now ! You know you’ll wear them again. If you’re not much a sunglasses girl, then buy a cheap (but cute !) pair from Forever 21 or H&M.
6. Charm and elegance ! Personality is so so so important when dressing up as a celebrity. Make sure you have a strut that is graceful and slightly arrogant. Audrey’s character in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Hollie Golightly, was very sure of herself (or so she thought). Make sure to be confident !
The third costume in our Halloween Series is the uber gorgeous Marilyn Monroe ! Whether you chose to go the “Seven Year Itch” route with the classic white dress or the more casual route, the key to looking like Marilyn in all in the makeup.
1. If you’re not a blonde bombshell, buy a wig ! No one would will know who you are if you skip the signature blonde bob.
2. The red lip isn’t a must, but why not ?! Take advantage of any moment that allows for a red pout.
3. What is another signature of Marilyn’s? Why jewels of course ! (If you haven’t seen Gentlemen Prefer Blondes why are you dressing up as her??) Stop by Forever 21 and pick up some shiny or crystal pieces. Go for stuff you’ll wear again. Jewelry from a costume store is overpriced and extremely fake looking.
4. The fourth necessity for being Marilyn is her personality. Skip the ditz and try to ooze confidence. In pictures make sure to pout and walk with an exaggerated butt shuffle. Marilyn used to get her heels shaved so that she had a signature limp so it shouldn’t be difficult to copy.
The second look in our Halloween series is Snow White ! Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to cheat your way out of buying a costume. However, there are some ways to glam up your costume & make it look less juvenile.
Step 1: Your hair. It’s highly unlikely that you have the perfect black bob. So if you’ve got dark, long hair go for a look like Kim’s. Big, glamorous curls. “Sure, Snow White’s hair is fairly straight, but that’s not very princess-y is it ? (No, it’s not.)
Step 2: Your makeup. Just because you’re a Disney princess doesn’t mean that you should go makeup free. But at the same time, you don’t want to go smokey eye. That’s just awkward. Go for a glam look that goes along with your fab hair. Your best bet is probably red lips. Not only is it Snow White’s lip color, but this is the best opportunity to find your go-to red lipstick. And don’t forget some dramatic eyelashes ! Experiment a bit !
Step 3: Shoes, shoes, shoes. Instead of buying yellow ballet flats you’ll never wear again, how about a red pump ? They’ll automatically elevate your ensemble from “costume” to “outfit.”
With Halloween just around the corner, we hope you’re all thinking of cute characters to be ! One route for Halloween is to be an animal. This is probably the easiest & most fun of all. First the first look in our Halloween series, I thought we’d feature a leopard ! Here are the steps to being a cute leopard for cheap:
1. Get the animal package from a costume store. This should only cost around $10. The packages I found on Party City included ears, a tail, a nose,and usually gloves.
2. Gather pieces of clothing with that animal’s corresponding print. For leopard, I’d probably wear a basic beige top with leopard leggings or pants and my leopard print booties.
3. Use makeup to make the “costume” look costumey and not like you forgot to buy a costume. So do your hair and makeup accordingly. For leopard you may not want to wear a fake nose so use eyeliner to color in the tip of your nose and don’t forget the cat-eyes ! Paint your nails a neutral color to resemble paws and maybe go sleek on the hair.
4. HAVE FUN. Don’t worry about matching perfectly or getting every detail right! Who cares, it’s only Halloween, not the prom.