School uniforms are a non-issue for the fashionistas of the world ! To look totes amaze in your school uniform (example-far left), simply pile on a few pieces that’ll make you stand out in a sea of plaid or khakis.
1. Hair/Hair accessories. A signature hairstyle (like beachy waves) gives you an identifiable look. Little add-ons like bows (above !) or headbands are also cute. Picking pieces in interesting prints or colors is encouraged ! Don’t just toss on the first black headband you find.
2. Outwear is so underrated when it comes to school. A gorgeous cable knit or a vest is something that you toss on between classes and during lunch outside. You may even have a teacher that loves to venture outside. If you’re classy, a trench is perfect. If you’re a bit more daring, a little leather jacket is calling your name.
3. Jewelry, jewelry, jewelry. I featured a pretty harness bracelet in this set because I felt it matched the preppy vibe of the uniform. You can also opt for flashier pieces, like a cocktail ring, statement necklace, or pretty earrings.
4. Footwear ! A lot of schools demand that you wear a certain color footwear; that shouldn’t be an issue at all ! If you really search, you can find a fab shoe is any color. The Dolce Vita loafers (at left) are school appropriate, yet totally great for a Saturday at the cafe with some friends. The Charlotte Olympia pair (far right) is more whimsical and youthful.
5. Bags/Purses are obviously important. This is one piece that it more focused on function over fashion, but the look is still important ! If you prefer a backpack, go for an interesting fabric (like leather or terry) or a cool print. If you prefer a hobo (a larger, less structured bag), opt for a pretty color (like this cherry red Longchamp). To really kick your bag up a notch, get it monogrammed ! Nothing says I-think-I’m-more-fab-than-you like script initials !
6. Makeup galore ! While we don’t suggest going overboard for school, we completely love the idea of a bright nail or lip. Picking a color that’s in your uniform is a great way to look subtlety sophisticated. A perfectly mascara-ed eye is a great idea as well.
7. Last, but not least, other accessories ! A chic pair of glasses can revamp any look. Go for interesting shapes to set yourself a part. Warm weather extras can include light scarves, sunglasses and hats. Other great options for cold weather extras are scarves, hats and gloves. Even though you might take them off before school, you never know when a post-school date or outdoor excursion may happen.
Hope that this post helps our ladies who are wondering how to maintain their identities in a sea of uniforms ! We both wore uniforms for 9 years straight, so we understand the struggle/pain !